Friday, June 19, 2015

Things that I love...

Summer Events.


The Summer Concert Series. 

We are pretty lucky with our great parks system within our city and neighboring cities and on the county level, also. Each summer our city and the cities around us have a summer concert series. You can pick a free concert every weekday evening. Usually, local cover bands that have a good following and very family friendly. 



The Baseball Park. 

We love going to minor league games at Victory Field for the Indianapolis Indians. My favorite place, the lawns in the outfield. The boys can run around and make friends with everyone around us. 



The Pool. 

Since forever, I have loved spending my summer days at the pool. We are fortunate that our YMCA has a great outdoor pool and splash pad. 

Here's the thing, I often wonder if we are doing too much with our kids? I remember many a days spent at home doing nothing but riding bikes, playing in the sand pile or playing some type of sporting game. Seriously, my brothers would play baseball catch and we would play a game called "Run Down". I was always a permanent runner, it was basically a game to work on getting the runner out. My catching skills were not that great and my running skills not that much better. 

Not to mention, the hours we spent taking care of our family's garden and then harvesting it. Somehow, my mom would manage to can and freeze enough veggies, tomatoes and fruits to make it from the end of summer to the beginning of summer each year. 

I think that I just have many fond memories from my elementary school age-self that revolve around our home and I hold them very near and I want those same type of memories for my boys. 

So, are we doing too much? No, we are creating our own family memories that bring along bits and pieces of our childhoods. I am totally going to play Run Down with my boys and only sometimes be the runner!



No comments:

Post a Comment