Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's Fall...

Y'all!



Last week, Emerson learned about Johnny Appleseed and the last day of his school week was Johnny Appleseed day for his class. They were all to wear pots on their heads and make applesauce in celebration of Johnny. Well, Emerson missed that day because he was at my parent's house but, my mom came through and was able to make the day happen for him. 

I look forward to this time of year because every year I get a box of apples from my parent's apple trees to make a couple apple crisps, one apple pie and maybe some applesauce. It's enough apples for a months worth of apple desserts and usually I just make apple crisp because it's the easiest of all apple desserts.


Emerson and Rhys picked apples and made applesauce with grandma and loved every minute of the process. When I picked them up, we picked a box full of apples and were set. I was thankful for this because I could finally make apple crisp and I didn't have to make applesauce for the boys. 

I was ready to get the apples home and make a pie with Emerson or just crisp because let's face it he doesn't know the difference. Plus, I was excited because he had made a super cute craft at school that looked like an apple pie and smelled like one and he really wanted to try to make a real one, too. 

A few days went by, I kept putting of making any dessert because we had just returned from a trip and I needed to get back on track with my nutrition. Then on Friday night Eric asked if we could make some crisp and with no hesitation we started the task. I peeled the apples and Eric prepped the topping and filling mixes. We mixed and layered everything together, then baked the sweet treat for forty-five minutes. I couldn't wait!




We waited a minimal time for the deliciousness to cool and then served it up.  It was great but after a few bites I asked what we ate for dinner that was spicey that I am just now tasting? There was just enough zing with every bite to make us wonder, what could have possible been in the seasoning that was on our pork chops? When I say spicey, it's like the spicey you taste when eating a cinnamon gummy bear or red hots. So, it wasn't horrible and we ate our entire plates of apple crisp and then decided that we weren't going to give any to the boys because they would have taken a bite and hated it. 


When we finished and started cleaning up, I asked again, "What could have been on the pork chops or did you accidentally use cayenne pepper instead of cinnamon?" As I said it, I remembered that they are both in the same type of bottle and stored next to each other, for a very easy mix up. Eric looked at me and started laughing and said, "That's exactly what I did!"



No comments:

Post a Comment