Thursday, August 27, 2015

My New Thing...

A few years ago I had a breakdown, not the kind that you need serious help, just the kind where you look in the mirror and realize you have to make the changes to see the person you know you are. 

That day, I said I need to find a gym and I need to get my eating under control. I was trying to find something to wear for a family gathering and nothing fit right. I was six months out from having my first baby and I was 30+ pounds heavier than a place where I am comfortable and 40+ pounds heavier than my ideal place. 

The next couple of weeks I went and checked out some gyms, researched online, talked with Eric, and debated about who I wanted to give our money to for the next year. Let's face it, I had doubt that I would stick with it. 

I choose the closet YMCA to join. I loved the facilities and really loved the two hours of free childcare. TWO HOURS!!! FREE!!! I could sit and stare out the window, sit at the pool, workout, eat sandwiches, take group exercise classes or sit in a chair in the lobby and nap. What I didn't expect was that working out would become something that I really liked. In fact, it became something I planned my day around. 

The first couple of months I went in the evenings and weekends with my husband. Thankfully, he wanted to go. The weekdays we worked in the wellness center and the weekends we would take group exercise classes. I eventually started going while Eric was at work and worked out on my own. I then got enough guts to take morning group exercise classes. That's when working out got a lot better. 

I loved group exercise classes. I didn't feel like I was working out and I was in a room with a bunch of people working towards the same thing. I felt like I was on a team. I didn't know anyone and I kept to myself but I felt a part of something. 

I stuck with it. I went everyday, a friend joined and started going with me. Then, I got pregnant again. I tried for a few months to keep going but I failed. I went every couple of days, then it ended up being a once a week thing and finally not at all. I tried. 

I was disappointed, I didn't want this to be the end of my working out. I was seeing results, I was understanding form, I was catching on to the calls, rountines, counts and beats. I was happy. 

I think that was what kept me motivated for that next six months. I was happy with my results from working out and keeping my nutrition consistent. I started pinning all kinds of workouts and I started following a couple fitness blogs. I decided that even though I wasn't working out I needed to plan like I was to stay motivated for the day that I would go back. There was no way that wasn't happening. 

Baby number two came and I was ready to get back at it. I waited until my doctor said it was ok and after returning from a family vacation, I went back to the Y. So, eight weeks after having baby, I was back at it.

The boys both adjusted well to being in childcare and I got into a routine quickly. This time was different. I knew a few more people and I knew what classes I loved. I was taking strength classes, where you left weights, athletic conditioning where you willing show up for basketball practice and run drills for an hour but never play a game or even see a ball and an occasional cardio class where you jump around for an hour to super loud music. I was loving my routine. 

I met more people, I started talking to the instructors and I felt like I belonged. I started running. I joined challenge groups, that worked. I started working out in a park with friends where we created our own bootcamp like workouts. I joined competitive challenge groups and met more people.

I stayed motivated. It didn't always mean that action happened but I found ways that worked for me that kept and keep me motivated. That motivation created consistency.

The other big key was the way I decided I needed to start eating. I had to pay attention to what I ate and how my body then handled it. I knew dairy wasn't really something I should eat but I could deal with it because I loved cheese. When I stopped my over consumption of cheese and said goodbye to all dairy my body said thank you. I did search out alternatives for milk and cheese and I found things that we all like.

I came up with an approach that works for my family with menu planning. I concluded that I like not having to think about what I am having for breakfast and lunch so I eat about the same thing everyday. I simplified those two meals and after three years of doing this, I know this works for me.

Also, I got to where I felt comfortable with who I was seeing in the mirror. That and that alone is all the motivation I need and anyone really needs.

That is why I am starting to embrace what my journey has lead me to become, a group exercise instructor. I didn't start out with this intention and if you would have told me a year ago that I would be teaching classes, I would have laughed.

I love it! I am developing my process and my style which is so much fun. It gives me the challenge outside of my family that excites me. I am learning new things. I am growing.

Bring home Rhys. (left) Hiking with sleeping Rhys. (right)

3 comments: